You'll want to keep these festive cookies on hand for when holiday company arrives. The rich chocolate wafers are the perfect complement to the creamy filling's sweet-tart tones. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup cherry juice blend
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 to 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1/2 cup Mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon cherry brandy
- 1 package (9 ounces) chocolate wafers
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add the cherries, juice blend and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in food coloring if desired. Cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, combine the Mascarpone cheese, confectioners' sugar and brandy. Spread about 1 teaspoon cheese mixture onto 20 wafers; top with 2 teaspoons cherry mixture and remaining wafers. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking pan.
- Place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chips; whisk until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Cover and refrigerate cookies for up to 4 hours before serving. Yield: 20 cookies.
Originally published as Black Forest Icebox Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p37
Reviews for Black Forest Icebox Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review