Chocolate and cherries make up the sweet taste combo in this layered icebox dessert! The decadent, scrumptious recipe comes from Ruth Lee of Troy, Ontario.
- 1 cup crushed reduced-fat Oreo cookies (about 10 cookies)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 can (15 ounces) pitted dark sweet cherries
- 2 cups black cherry-vanilla swirl frozen yogurt blend
- 3 cups reduced-fat chocolate ice cream, softened
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- 12 mint sprigs
- In a small bowl, combine cookies and butter. Press onto the bottom of a 9-in. springform pan coated with cooking spray. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.
- Drain cherries, reserving syrup. Cover and refrigerate syrup. Chop half of the cherries; refrigerate whole cherries. Spread frozen yogurt evenly over crust; sprinkle with chopped cherries. Cover and freeze for 30 minutes. Spread ice cream over cherries; cover and freeze for 2 hours or until firm.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and reserved cherry syrup until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and whole cherries.
- Remove sides of springform pan; cut dessert into slices. Serve with sauce. Garnish with whipped topping and mint. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Black Forest Frozen Dessert in Light & Tasty June/July 2007, p33
Reviews for Black Forest Frozen Dessert
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review