This rich, chilled dessert seems to hit the spot on a hot summer's day. The recipe makes a large dessert, but my family never complains if there happen to be leftovers!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2-1/2 cups cold milk
- 2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
- Chocolate curls, optional
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in coconut and walnuts. Press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Fold in 1 cup whipped topping. Spread over crust. Top with pie filling; cover and chill.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mixes for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Whisk a small amount of pudding into melted chocolate. Return all to the pudding, whisking constantly. Pour over cherry filling. Chill for 2 hours or until set.
- Just before serving, spread remaining whipped topping over dessert. Garnish with chocolate curls if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Black Forest Dream Dessert in Taste of Home June/July 2007, p33
Reviews for Black Forest Dream Dessert
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review