These fancy-looking crepes are a sweet ending to a special-occasion meal. Lisa Tanner of Warner Robins, Georgia fills them with cherry pie filling and tops them with chocolate sauce, whipped cream and a sprinkling of baking cocoa.
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs and butter. Combine the flour, sugar and baking cocoa; add to milk mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat a lightly greased 8-in. nonstick skillet; pour 2 tablespoons batter into the center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to evenly coat bottom. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, greasing skillet as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cocoa. Whisk in milk; add butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon pie filling down the center of each crepe. Fold sides of crepe over filling; place in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until heated through. Transfer to serving plates; drizzle with warm chocolate sauce. Yield: 10 servings (20 crepes).
Originally published as Black Forest Crepes in Quick Cooking May/June 1999, p57
Reviews for Black Forest Crepes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 20, 2010
"I only made the chocolate sauce. it was amazing! I'm sure the rest of this recipe is just as great."