Black Forest Chocolate Torte Recipe
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- CHOCOLATE FILLING:
- 6 ounces German sweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- CREAM FILLING:
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup cherry pie filling
- 3 cups sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in water just until blended.
- 2. In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Stir in vanilla until blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with chocolate mixture beating well after each addition.
- 3. Pour into four greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For chocolate filling, in a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Stir in butter until smooth. Add almonds.
- 5. For cream filling, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form.
- 6. To assemble, place one cake on a serving platter; spread with a fourth of the chocolate filling and a fourth of the cream filling. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake and chocolate filling.
- 7. Place 1-1/2 cups of the remaining cream filling in a pastry bag with a large star pastry tip. Pipe around edge of cake. Fill center with cherry pie filling. Spread remaining cream filling over sides of cake; press almonds into sides. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice: 654 calories, 48g fat (24g saturated fat), 158mg cholesterol, 245mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Black Forest Chocolate Torte
"I made this as an entry to a work sponsered bake-off and won! The ladies I work with LOVED this cake and have been begging me to make it again. My husband insisted that I make 2 next time, one for them and one for him!"
"I can not believe this only has 1 3/4 cup offlour and it makes three four layers , isthis right?"
"I made this for my boyfriend's birthday, and everyone loved it. I was skeptical because I'm not a cherry lover, but the combo with the rich chocolate layers was decadent!"