- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- CHOCOLATE FILLING:
- 6 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup cherry pie filling
- 1-1/2 cups sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of four greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in water just until blended.
- In a microwave, melt unsweetened chocolate; stir until smooth. Stir in vanilla. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with chocolate mixture, beating after each addition. Divide batter among prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For chocolate filling, melt chocolate in a microwave; stir until smooth. Stir in butter until blended. Stir in almonds.
- For whipped cream, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/3 cup chocolate filling and 1 cup whipped cream. Repeat layers twice. Top with the remaining cake and chocolate filling.
- Spread remaining whipped cream over sides of cake. Press almonds onto sides. Spoon pie filling over top of cake. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Black Forest Chocolate Torte
"I can not believe this only has 1 3/4 cup offlour and it makes three four layers , isthis right?"
"I made this for my boyfriend's birthday, and everyone loved it. I was skeptical because I'm not a cherry lover, but the combo with the rich chocolate layers was decadent!"
"I made this torte for a friend's birthday and he shared it with the people at his work and they all loved it, It is also great to made for Christmas."