Black Forest Cake Recipe
One taste and you'll agree this spectacular dessert is worth the effort.—Patricia Roylance, U.S. Navy, Stationed in Spain
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1-3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup 2% milk
- CREAM FILLING:
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 to 5 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- CHERRY FILLING:
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 drops red food coloring
- CHOCOLATE FILLING:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup chocolate syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate curls, maraschino cherries and fresh mint
- 1. In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. In a large bowl, beat the oil, egg yolks, 1 cup sugar and melted chocolate. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to chocolate mixture alternately with milk.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- 3. Pour into two greased and waxed paper-lined 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat cream filling ingredients until smooth; cover and refrigerate. For cherry filling, drain cherries, reserving juice. In a saucepan, combine cornstarch, sugar and cherry juice until smooth. Add cherries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in extract and food coloring. Cool completely.
- 5. In a small bowl, beat chocolate filling ingredients until soft peaks form. Cover and refrigerate.
- 6. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Cover and refrigerate.
- 7. To assemble, cut each cake into two horizontal layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with 1/2 cup cream filling. Place 1 cup cream filling in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a 1/2-in. triangle in one corner of bag. Make a rim of filling 3/4 in. high around outer edge of cake.
- 8. Make a second rim 2 in. from edge. Spoon cherry filling between rings. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Spread chocolate filling over second cake layer; place over cherry filling.
- 9. Spread remaining cream filling over third layer; place over chocolate filling. Top with fourth layer. Spread frosting over top and sides of cake. Garnish with chocolate curls, cherries and mint. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 589 calories, 28 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 103 mg cholesterol, 289 mg sodium, 83 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC