- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1-3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup 2% milk
- CREAM FILLING:
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 to 5 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- CHERRY FILLING:
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 drops red food coloring
- CHOCOLATE FILLING:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup chocolate syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate curls, maraschino cherries and fresh mint
- In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. In a large bowl, beat the oil, egg yolks, 1 cup sugar and melted chocolate. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to chocolate mixture alternately with milk.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Pour into two greased and waxed paper-lined 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- In a large bowl, beat cream filling ingredients until smooth; cover and refrigerate. For cherry filling, drain cherries, reserving juice. In a saucepan, combine cornstarch, sugar and cherry juice until smooth. Add cherries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in extract and food coloring. Cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat chocolate filling ingredients until soft peaks form. Cover and refrigerate.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Cover and refrigerate.
- To assemble, cut each cake into two horizontal layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with 1/2 cup cream filling. Place 1 cup cream filling in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a 1/2-in. triangle in one corner of bag. Make a rim of filling 3/4 in. high around outer edge of cake.
- Make a second rim 2 in. from edge. Spoon cherry filling between rings. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Spread chocolate filling over second cake layer; place over cherry filling.
- Spread remaining cream filling over third layer; place over chocolate filling. Top with fourth layer. Spread frosting over top and sides of cake. Garnish with chocolate curls, cherries and mint. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Black Forest Cake
Sort By :
"I followed the recipe as written....when it was time for the cream filling it was too stiff. When it was time for the chocolate filling it was too soft. Have not yet tasted it but it was not easy to do."
"I was really looking forward to this being a great cake and was very disappointed. The cream filling is the worst part of it. You make this rim with it and then when you go to eat it it is hard and not too tasty. Also, the cherry part did not get real thick when I cooked it and I followed the directions to a t! I will not make this again."
"This cake is so decadent and delicious!! I made this for my boyfriend's birthday and for Easter and both times it was fantastic. I have two things I would caution you on, however. First, this recipe is very very rich so if you don't like that sort of thing you might not like this. Second, it is very important to not be rushed when making this or your cake will run all over the place. Make sure you chill when it says chill. Also, my cherry layer oozed over the sides so you might want to place the cake on a larger plate or something to catch the mess, but I promise it is sooo worth the time!!"
"This is awesome I make as a birthday cake for my husband an a friend they love it"