- 1 package (16 ounces) dried black-eyed peas
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups water
- Rinse and sort black-eyed peas; soak according to package directions. Drain and rinse peas, discarding liquid. Transfer peas to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until peas are tender. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Black-Eyed Peas with Ham
"I saw this recipe for Hoppin' John and I just had to try it. I've always wanted to make this and I am glad I used this wonderful recipe. It was easy...... and very TASTY! I used ham broth that I made with the bone from my Christmas ham instead of the water, 1 clove of garlic instead of 3 and 1 teaspoon of seasoned salt (Tastefully Simple brand) instead of 2 teaspoons. It was a perfect New Year's Day meal ...... served with baby spinach sauteed in bacon drippings and corn bread. I'll be making this again!"
"I was afraid this would be bland and need some excitement, but it ended up quite tasty. I did simmer a hambone in it, which couldn't have hurt anything!"