Black-Eyed Peas with Bacon Recipe
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas, rinsed and sorted
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt to taste
- Additional cooked and crumbled bacon, optional
- Place peas and bacon in a large Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let soak, covered, for 1 hour. Do not drain.
- In a skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in thyme and salt.
- Add to pea mixture; return to the heat. Cook, covered, over medium heat for 30 minutes or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally. If desired, top with additional crumbled bacon. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Black-Eyed Peas with Bacon(5)
Sort By :
First black-eyed peas recipe. With all the ingredients, I expected it to be more flavorful. Quite bland and needed lots of salt.
I found this dish to be quite bland and the bacon they cooked with ended up tasteless and an odd texture. I had to add a lot of salt. Not a hit as a side dish here on the west coast.
have used for a long time. Both my husband and some of family love it!
My husband made this dish at Christmas. Everyone loved it! We will definetly be using it for New Year's Day.
1st tme ever making blak eyed pea and this dish turned out great. was very easy. will definetily make again..linda..burlington nc
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bean Recipes >
- Black Eyed Pea Recipes >
- Cajun Recipes >
- Cajun Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Side Dishes >
- New Year's Recipes >
- New Year's Side Dish Recipes >