Black-Eyed Peas with Bacon Recipe
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas, rinsed and sorted
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt to taste
- Additional cooked and crumbled bacon, optional
- Place peas and bacon in a large Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let soak, covered, for 1 hour. Do not drain.
- In a skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in thyme and salt.
- Add to pea mixture; return to the heat. Cook, covered, over medium heat for 30 minutes or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally. If desired, top with additional crumbled bacon. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Black-Eyed Peas with Bacon(9)
Sort By :
I added some of the bacon grease to the beans while they were cooking. This added some extra flavor. They needed salt but otherwise they were delicious!
best black eyed peas I have had.
I'm from Wisconsin & my Mom made this but not often enough ! Sometimes she would add green red or peppers, grilled/carmelized onions at the last minute, always garlic right from the start. Sometimes a bay leaf or two, a few allspice.it all depended on what the meat entree was. You can also cook the beans in vegetable, chicken or beef broth which adds its own flavor. All you have to do is USE YOUR IMAGINATION.
To get more salt flavor, use salt pork intsead of Bacon. Slice the salt pork thin and fry just like bacon. Salt pork is very salty so taste often for flavor. I like to used season salt if I feel it needs more salt.
First black-eyed peas recipe. With all the ingredients, I expected it to be more flavorful. Quite bland and needed lots of salt.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bean Recipes >
- Black Eyed Pea Recipes >
- Cajun Recipes >
- Cajun Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Side Dishes >