- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt to taste
- Additional cooked and crumbled bacon, optional
- Rinse and sort black-eyed peas. Place peas and bacon in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let soak, covered, 1 hour. Do not drain.
- In a skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in thyme.
- Stir into pea mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 30-40 minutes or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with salt to taste. If desired, serve with additional crumbled bacon. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Black-Eyed Peas with Bacon
Sort By :
"I have made this three times now and this 3rd time I saut?ed my onion and garlic in my left over bacon fat and bwutter for more flavor. But I have always loved the recipe the way it is!!!! Such a comforting meal!"
"I agree with another reviewer that this is quite bland, but it's a good starter recipe. Instead of butter I use some of the bacon fat to saute the onion. Gives it a bit more smoky and salty flavor. I also add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon of sugar for a sweet and sour flavor that my Mom used to give black eyed peas. And, I think the thyme is overwhelming, and will reduce that by half next time."
"Followed the recipe exactly and the beans were wonderful."
"I added some of the bacon grease to the beans while they were cooking. This added some extra flavor. They needed salt but otherwise they were delicious!"
"best black eyed peas I have had."