Tradition has it that if you eat black-eyed peas on New Year's Day, you'll enjoy prosperity all year through, but I serve this tasty combination of pasta, peas and tangy tomatoes sauce any time. —Marie Malsch, Bridgman, Michigan
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 to 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups hot cooked bow tie pasta
- Saute the green pepper, onion, jalapeno and garlic in oil in a large skillet for 5 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the peas, cilantro, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper; simmer 10 minutes longer. Toss with pasta. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Black-Eyed Peas 'N' Pasta in Light & Tasty October/November 2003, p17
Reviews for Black-Eyed Peas 'n' Pasta
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review