Black-Eyed Peas & Ham Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried black-eyed peas, rinsed and sorted
- 1/2 pound fully cooked boneless ham, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups water
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. Rinse beans. Place in a large saucepan / Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let soak, covered, 1 to 4 hours. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- 2. In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or until peas are tender. Sprinkle with cilantro if desired. Serve with rice. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup (calculated without rice) equals 170 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 386 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.