- 1 package (16 ounces) dried black-eyed peas, rinsed and sorted
- 1/2 pound fully cooked boneless ham, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups water
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until peas are tender. Sprinkle with cilantro if desired. Serve with rice. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews for Black-Eyed Peas & Ham
Sort By :
"This recipe was so good. Keep sending more recipes like this."
"Definitely want to try this sometime, but for today it provided me with inspiration to whip up something similar in a hurry with stuff I had on hand. Used our leftover Christmas ham, canned great northern beans, canned diced green chilis, multi color sweet peppers, and leftover corn. Quick and delicious!"
"My husband and I love this dish! Will definitely be having this again!!"
"We added sour cream and left out the jalapeno. We first served it with rice, which worked well because the broth was probably our favorite part. When we reheated it, we no longer had rice and accidentaly discovered it was very yummy with crackers too. Our one disappointment was that the ham pieces themselves lost all flavor in the cooking; seemingly having donated all to the broth."