Black-Eyed Pea Soup Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground pork
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1. In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook the pork, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
1 cup: 173 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 597mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein .
Reviews for Black-Eyed Pea Soup
"I've made this recipe several times. It is so easy. We just love it. Sometimes I use other ground meats such as beef or chicken. Sometimes I use dried black eyed peas and soak over night, cook for about 1 hour and then add them to the soup using the cooking liquid in place of the water. It comes out good every time."