Black-Eyed Pea Soup with Ham Recipe
"Even people who don't care for black-eyed peas will enjoy this hearty meatless soup," promises Donna Ambrose, Mt. Wolf, Pennsylvania. "With a crusty loaf of bread, it's a heartwarming meal for those cold winter days."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, undrained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 to 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 to 1-1/4 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon sugar, optional
- Shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese and minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute the green pepper, onion and garlic until tender.
- 2. Add peas, tomatoes, water and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese, parsley and bacon. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 192 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 843 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC