Black-Eyed Pea Soup with Ham Recipe
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, undrained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 to 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 to 1-1/4 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon sugar, optional
- Shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese and minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute the green pepper, onion and garlic until tender.
- Add peas, tomatoes, water and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese, parsley and bacon. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Black-Eyed Pea Soup with Ham(1)
Sort By :
I had to laugh when the I read that this was a "meatless" soup, and the first ingredient is BACON! Anyway, this is a wonderful soup. The curry is what makes it, for sure. I did doctor mine up a little, I used an entire package of bacon, and I also added a couple cups of diced ham. I'm sure I tweaked the seasonings a little, since I usually do, but I can't remember now what I did. Nothing too drastic. I am making this again today to take to BUNCO and I know the girls are going to love it, too!!!