Black-Eyed Pea Sausage Stew Recipe
I've always wanted to try black-eyed peas, and I happened to have smoked sausage on hand one night, so I invented this full-flavored stew. It's the perfect way to heat up a cold night without spending a lot of time in the kitchen. I usually doubled with seasonings because we like our food spicier.
- 1 package (16 ounces) smoked sausage links, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the peas, tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth and seasonings.
- 2. Cook and stir for 10-12 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Stir in corn; cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 346 calories, 21 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 1,378 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Reviews for Black-Eyed Pea Sausage Stew
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC