Black-Eyed Pea Salad
A homemade dressing helps marry the flavors of this creamy salad. It is a unique contribution to a spring luncheon or barbecue buffet in the summertime. -Olive Foemmel of Chili, Wisconsin
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the peas, celery and onion. In a small bowl,
- whisk the oil, vinegar, mayonnaise, salt and cayenne. Stir into
- vegetable mixture. Cover and chill until serving. Stir in tomato
- just before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 133 calories, 5 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 321 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.