Black-Eyed Pea Pasta Salad
Grilling out? You may want to serve this refreshing, make-ahead salad at the barbecue. A creamy Italian dressing enhances the chopped vegetables, cheese and pasta. —Joan Huggins, Waynesboro, Mississippi
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) marinated quartered artichoke hearts
- 1 cup uncooked tricolor spiral pasta
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 4 slices provolone cheese, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoni, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup prepared Italian salad dressing
- Drain artichokes, reserving 1/4 cup liquid; chop and set aside. Cook
- pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the artichokes, peas, cheese,
- peppers, onion and pepperoni. Drain pasta; add to artichoke mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, salad dressing and reserved
- artichoke liquid. Pour over pasta mixture; toss to coat. Cover and
- refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 339 calories, 24 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 625 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.