Black-Eyed Pea Casserole Recipe
This group-size dish is quick, simple and tasty. People always ask for "just a little more". I guess you could call it one of my Southern favorites.—Kathy Rogers, Natchez, Mississippi
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) long grain and wild rice mix
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 small green peppers, chopped
- 4 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas with jalapenos, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1-1/3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook the rice mixes according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, onions and green peppers over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the peas, soup, rice and beef mixture. Transfer to two greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dishes.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 casseroles (10-12 servings each).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 122 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 247 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC