Black-Eyed Pea and Bean Salad
"I was trying to use up some ingredients I had in our pantry one day and threw this bean salad together," related Marilyn Gonsman of Blairsville, Georgia. "I served it the next night with chicken, and everyone enjoyed it."
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the kidney beans, black-eyed peas, black
- beans, celery, red pepper and onion. In a small bowl, whisk together
- the vinegars, oil and salt. Pour over bean mixture; toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for about 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Yield: 8
Nutritional Facts:Nutritiona Facts: 3/4 cup equals 169 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 414 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.