- 4 cups fresh or frozen quartered pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 liters black cherry soda, chilled
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook cherries and sugar for 15 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a large bowl; cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Stir in soda, milk and chocolate chips. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Repeat with remaining ice cream mixture. Yield: 2-1/2 quarts.
Reviews for Black Cherry Sherbet
"I made this sherbet for my birthday. I liked it so much that the next I hardy consumed anything else. By the end of that day I had lost my fondness for the dessert."
"I made this sherbet yesterday (followed the recipe to a "t") and my whole family was disappointed. :o( It looked amazing, but it didn't taste very good. It wasn't easy to make, so I too was disappointed with the lack-luster taste. I expected a little more "zing" of flavor...I think that it was muted by the condensed milk. ? Won't bother with this one again."
"This was a very good sherbet. I served it to a group of ladies on our game day and everyone enjoyed it. We all felt it would have been better without the chocolate chips. The next time I make it, I will omit the semisweet chocolate chips, reduce the sugar to 3/4 cup and add another can of sweetened condensed milk."
"Great sherbet! So easy to make and very delicious!"
"Made this over the 4th of July weekend and left out the chocolate chips. It was raved about by all ages 3 - 60+. I've been told it will need to be brought again!"
"Used 10.5 ounces of black cherry soda (natural organic with juice) and less sugar. Turned out wonderful"
"My husband and I really liked it. Leftover ice cream does not freeze well, it becomes icy. Next time I will try to cut back the recipe so I don't have any left."
"This has a GREAT flavor but I can't get it to freeze. I am followed the directions exactly and I am NOT using diet soda. I started with an ice cream freezer and it didn't freeze. Now I have put it in the freezer. It has been in there 2 hours and isn't more then a slush."