Black Cherry Sherbet
"When making this yummy recipe with the kids, I use a sugar substitute and caffeine-free black cherry soda-for obvious reasons!"
Emily Evans, Roselle, IL
20 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 4 cups fresh or frozen quartered pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 liters black cherry soda, chilled
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook cherries and sugar for 15
- minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Transfer
- to a large bowl; cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until
- Stir in soda, milk and chocolate chips. Fill cylinder of ice cream
- freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s
- directions. (Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.)
- Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for
- expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Repeat with remaining ice
- cream mixture. Yield: 2-1/2 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 213 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 39 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.