- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Black paste food coloring
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add the pumpkin, confectioners' sugar, pie spice and honey; beat until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Roll out each pie pastry directly on an ungreased baking sheet to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. cat-shaped cookie cutter, leaving at least 1 in. between cutouts. Remove excess dough and reroll scraps if desired. Beat the egg, milk and food coloring; brush over cutouts. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over cutouts.
- Bake at 400° for 6-7 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Serve with pumpkin dip. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen black cats(3 cups dip).
Reviews for Black Cat Dippers with Pumpkin Pie Dip
"I had trouble with the egg wash. Besides being a mess to brush on (and to clean up), it looked more gray than black. I used a bat cookie cutter to make the dippers easier to use. Co-workers liked them."
"This was quick and easy. Great hit at the company party."
"simple recipe to spice up a halloween party!"
"I didn't roll the crust as thin as the recipe states. I left it the thickness it was as packaged and it was perfect.The flavor combination was perfect! Just like biting into a slice of pumpkin pie. I served it at our halloween party and everyone who got to try it thought it was great! However, it's best to use two boxes of pie crust, as there's a lot of dip left over. This recipe is perfect to use all season long, but with different shapes.I look forward to making this again."
"don't roll the pie crust out as thin as it says, or all of your tails and legs will break off when you remove them from the baking sheet. using non-stick foil or a greased baking pan would probably also help with this."
"This is a great recipe!! Being the shortcut cook that I am, I used cinnamon graham crackers insteadof the pie crust. Not as fancy as cutting the pie crust into shapes, but it worked for us. The dip is so good you can just eat it with a spoon!"
"I haven't made this yet, but can see it will be delicious, like deconstructed pumpkin pie! I had to comment because you could easily change the cutout to a pumpkin or leaf shape with appropriate coloring and continue to use this GREAT idea well past halloween! That's what I plan to do for our monthly "Wine Down" at my condo development, which will next fall after halloween. Can't wait! You could also change the dip to a regular cream cheese-based dip of any of a variety of flavors and change the cutout shape and use this year-round! This is a keeper!"
"its like pumpkin pie but faster and the cats make it awesomely dif and sooo cute just love it will def go in my keep book BOO :)"