- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Chopped almonds, optional
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg and salt until smooth. Stir in chips; set aside.
- For cupcakes, in a large bowl, beat the sugar, water, oil, egg, vinegar and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into egg mixture until blended.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full with chocolate batter. Drop a heaping tablespoonful of cheese mixture in center of batter of each cupcake. Sprinkle with sugar and chopped almonds if desired.
- Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake portion comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to racks to cool completely. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 20-24 cupcakes.
Reviews for Black Bottom Cupcakes
"Amazing! Used namaste gluten free flour blend, and they turned out great. Didn't top with nuts."
"Delicious!! My 9 year old daughter made these. She used cherry balsamic vinegar. Yum!! Also used light cream cheese, skipped the nuts and extra sugar. Will definitely keep in the rotation!!"
"These are great especially when warm and the choc chips are melted! Only thing I did differently was added vanilla to the cheesecake mix and I sprinkled raw sugar on the top of each cupcake. Highly recommend this recipe!"
"These were a hit! Took them to the cottage last weekend and everyone loved them and asked for the recipe! Will make these again!"
"My grandmother made these regularly, they've been a family favorite for years."
"These are my husband's favorite. His mom would make these every year at Christmas.Excellent recipe."
"I have made these cup cakes forever. My adult son gets them every year for his birthday. I always make them in a mini size and double the recipe for approx. 90 cakes or so."
"Didn't use the nuts, but it was still great! A friend who doesn't like chocolate even loved them! lol Will definitely make again, since the gals at work were upset they didn't get more!"
"I got rave reviews when I made this for a bridal shower. chocolate & cheesecake are a match made in heaven!"
"I covered the cream cheese mixture in the chocolate batter so the filling was a surprise! Yummy!!"