- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in the bananas. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide batter in half. Add cocoa to half; spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Spoon remaining batter on top and, if desired, swirl with a knife to marble batter.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2-1/2 to 3 dozen.
Reviews for Black-Bottom Banana Bars
"I was looking for a new way to use "old bananas" and this is NOT it. These are boring and non-exceptional to say the least. They DO stay moist, I will give them that, but I would guess that a variety of additions as suggested by other readers are a definite need."
"I too have been making these bars for years. A great recipe to use up bananas. I did change the recipe a little. I eliminated the cocoa and added a half cup of mini semi chocolate chips. To divide the batter was time consuming for me."
"Delicious. Light and fluffy. Made exactly as stated. Yummy!"
"This is an awesome cake, been baking it for over 15 years and it's a family favorite. I brought it in to work today and everyone is going crazy over it, lol. It's a winner even after all these years!"
"It's didn't seem enough batter for a 13x9 pan so I used a 9x9 pan. I added 1/2 c chocolate chips to the top and 3 minutes more to the baking time. Delicious! Yes, more cake texture than brownie."
"Fluffy and so easy to make. My 2-yr-old daughter helped mix it all together and we enjoyed the results! ;) recommended for any quick snack cake"
"These are delightful. Very simple, but good. I wouldn't change a thing."
"This was a nice combination of chocolate and banana."
"Easy and really yummy. I did add some chocolate chips - spread them between the 2 layers. A keeper."
"Good but not great. Added the mayo and chocolate chips as other reviews recommended. Not very chocolately. A nice change but I'll be going back to my "old faithful" recipe next time."