Black Beans with Brown Rice Recipe
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2-1/2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute peppers and onion in oil until tender. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, vinegar, garlic salt, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Serve with rice. Yield: 5 servings.
1 each: 327 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 614mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 11g fiber), 12g protein.
Reviews for Black Beans with Brown Rice
"This is the best rice and beans recipe I have ever had. My whole family enjoyed it so much that we made it again the next day!! The only alteration I made was adding more cayenne pepper to add a little more spice!!!"
"I made this today for lunch. It was very good. A little different than traditional black beans and brown rice. In fact, I steped up the brown rice by changing the mix to 1 cup brown rice, 1 cup Quinoa, and 1 cup Farro cooked in better than bullion vegetable broth.. The different grains blended together very well and tasted great by themselves . I will be making this again and again! Bobby"
"This was very good following the recipe exactly as written. The leftovers were great the next day too. I think the next time I make this I will use the leftovers either as a topping on tacos or add to burritos since it was so flavorful."
"I've made this recipe several times since it was originally published. I vary the ingredients with what I have on hand, and it always turns out delicious! This has become one of my go to healthy meals for busy nights."
"Delicious, easy & healthy. It's great with a dollop of sour cream on top."
"Wow, was this surprisingly flavorful! I only had 1 can of beans, but it still seemed to work great. Also added a few dashes of tabasco sauce because I thought it'd be bland but it was really awesome. (Add some cilantro and lime to the rice and you've got a restaurant dish!)"
"it was excellent! I would just put a few less beans in next time. It's good served in a wrap as well!"