Black Beans and Rice
Bonnie Baumgardner often serves this quick skillet side dish to delighted guests at her Sylva, North Carolina home. "It tastes so delicious it's hard to believe it's good for you," she exclaims. "And it's hearty enough to serve as a meatless main dish."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a nonstick skillet that has been coated with cooking spray, saute
- the onion, green and red peppers, garlic, basil and pepper until
- tender. Stir in tomato sauce. Add the beans, rice and vinegar; heat
- through. Transfer to a serving dish; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving equals 175 calories, 396 mg sodium, 1 mg cholesterol, 32 gm carbohydrate, 10 gm protein, 2 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable.