Bonnie Baumgardner often serves this quick skillet side dish to delighted guests at her Sylva, North Carolina home. "It tastes so delicious it's hard to believe it's good for you," she exclaims. "And it's hearty enough to serve as a meatless main dish."
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a nonstick skillet that has been coated with cooking spray, saute the onion, green and red peppers, garlic, basil and pepper until tender. Stir in tomato sauce. Add the beans, rice and vinegar; heat through. Transfer to a serving dish; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Black Beans and Rice in Quick Cooking March/April 1998, p22
Reviews for Black Beans and Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review