Black Bean Vegetable Soup
On cold winter days, my family likes to sit down to steaming bowlfuls of this fabulous soup. It's packed with hearty vegetables and beans and has a unique robust flavor.
14 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 6 cups water
- 3 low-sodium beef bouillon cubes
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute
- onion, carrots and celery over medium heat until onion is soft,
- about 8 minutes. Stir in water, bouillon, tomatoes, beans, barley,
- garlic powder and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 10 minutes. Add spinach; cover and simmer for 10-15
- minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Yield: 14 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/14 recipe equals 113 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 254 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber,