On cold winter days, my family likes to sit down to steaming bowlfuls of this fabulous soup. It's packed with hearty vegetables and beans and has a unique robust flavor.
Featured In: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 6 cups water
- 3 low-sodium beef bouillon cubes
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute onion, carrots and celery over medium heat until onion is soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in water, bouillon, tomatoes, beans, barley, garlic powder and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add spinach; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Bean Soup in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Annual 1995, p81
Reviews for Black Bean Vegetable Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review