Black Bean Vegetable Soup Recipe
On cold winter days, my family likes to sit down to steaming bowlfuls of this fabulous soup. It's packed with hearty vegetables and beans and has a unique robust flavor.
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 6 cups water
- 3 low-sodium beef bouillon cubes
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute onion, carrots and celery over medium heat until onion is soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in water, bouillon, tomatoes, beans, barley, garlic powder and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add spinach; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Bean Soup in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Annual 1995, p81
Reviews for Black Bean Vegetable Soup(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 11, 2012
This soup is great, very flavorful and filling but light at the same time. I like my soup to have a fair amount of broth and after the barley soaked up water there wasn't a lot of broth left so I added a few more cups of beef broth. Delicious!
More Recipe Collections
- Barley Soup >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >