Black Bean Tortilla Casserole Recipe
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chopped green peppers
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup picante sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1-1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the onions, peppers, tomatoes, picante sauce, garlic and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the beans.
- 2. Spread a third of the mixture in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with four tortillas and 2/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers; top with remaining beans.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with toppings. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece: 251 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 609mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 8g fiber), 14g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Black Bean Tortilla Casserole
"I don't cook vegetarian very often, as my husband and I both love our pork, chicken, and beef. I was afraid we would still be hungry or feel like something was "Missing" but that didn't happen! We were very satisfied by this meal....I did make one change to it...I put all the ingredients on a tostada shell instead of using layered tortillas to make it a casserole. LOVE!!!!"
"I made several changes to this recipe, but that wasn't the plan. We were out of green onions so I omitted those. We were also out of black beans so I under great-northern instead. This was still an amazing meal and my husband who is a meat lover even loved this!"
"This recipe tasted great and was easy to fix."
"Very tasty and healthy with all the veggies...doesn't even seem like a meatless dish. The beans taste great!! Would definately make again!!"
"Very tasty! This is a great Mexican vegetarian option that is also low fat."