Black Bean Tart Recipe
"This colorful dish was a hit at a get-together I had for friends," say Ellen Papa, who works as a caterer in Miami, Florida. "I served the tart with sour cream on the side, a green salad and crusty bread."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 4 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Sour cream, optional
- 1. In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in enough water until mixture forms a ball. Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Chill for 15 minutes.
- 2. Line unpricked crust with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Remove foil; bake 8-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a blender, combine 1 cup beans, sour cream and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cover and process until smooth. Spread over crust. In a skillet, saute corn in oil until tender. Remove from the heat; add red pepper, onions, cilantro, jalapenos, pepper and remaining salt. Add cheese and remaining beans. Mound over the pureed beans (pan will be full). Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 346 calories, 18 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 752 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC