Black Bean Tamale Pie Recipe
Corn bread mix speeds the preparation of this Southwestern entree with beef and black beans. My husband really likes it, and guests seem to enjoy this unique Mexican dish. For a change of pace, try topping it with lettuce, guacamole or extra salsa. —Laura Morris, St. Joseph, Missouri
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Sour cream and sliced ripe olives, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in beans and salsa; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the muffin mix, milk, egg and 1 cup cheese. Pour into a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 375° for 5-6 minutes.
- 3. Spoon beef mixture over crust, leaving a 1/2-in. edge. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream and olives if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 338 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 691 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 17 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC