Corn bread mix speeds the preparation of this Southwestern entree with beef and black beans. My husband really likes it, and guests seem to enjoy this unique Mexican dish. For a change of pace, try topping it with lettuce, guacamole or extra salsa. —Laura Morris, St. Joseph, Missouri
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Sour cream and sliced ripe olives, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in beans and salsa; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the muffin mix, milk, egg and 1 cup cheese. Pour into a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 375° for 5-6 minutes.
- Spoon beef mixture over crust, leaving a 1/2-in. edge. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream and olives if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Black Bean Tamale Pie in Quick Cooking September/October 2005, p44
Reviews for Black Bean Tamale Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review