- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Sour cream and sliced ripe olives, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in beans and salsa; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the muffin mix, milk, egg and 1 cup cheese. Pour into a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 375° for 5-6 minutes.
- Spoon beef mixture over crust, leaving a 1/2-in. edge. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream and olives if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Black Bean Tamale Pie
"I used the ground beef, didn't change a thing on the recipe and it was so good!!!!!!!"
"VERY GOOD AND easy TO MAKE"
"EXCELLENT!!! Next time I am going to add some creamed corn to the muffin mix-yummy!!"
"When I went to the cupbord I saw that I did no thave any black beans so I used a can of red beans in chili sauce instead and it was very good. I added taco seasoning to the burger mixture and topped with chopped geen onion and lime juice."
"Excellent and easy to make"
"Overall the dish was really good. I followed the recipe as stated & added a little corn because we love black bean/corn combinations! The bottom of the dish was a little mushy, from the salsa I guess so it made it a little difficult to serve nicely. I think it needed some more spice. For toppings, we used shredded lettuce, sour cream & hot pepper cheese. Next time think I'll add some jalepenos too...Will make again, but will def tweak the recipe."
"I followed the directions but thought it was very borderline ,way to spicy for me although Hubby said he liked it a little but didn't like the cornbread crust which I thought was pretty good so tonight will take out some of the "ingredients"and roll them up into a tortilla and give him a burrito for dinner and I will play around with this recipe."