Black Bean Tamale Pie Recipe
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Sour cream and sliced ripe olives, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in beans and salsa; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the muffin mix, milk, egg and 1 cup cheese. Pour into a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 375° for 5-6 minutes.
- Spoon beef mixture over crust, leaving a 1/2-in. edge. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream and olives if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Black Bean Tamale Pie(10)
Sort By :
Loved this... I made it with Boca crumbles instead of ground beef for a yummy vegetarian dish. I'll make it again with ground beef, though, when my vegetarian son isn't home. I also added a half-can of corn. I used a 9.5 inch pie plate and there was almost enough filling for a second pie!
EXCELLENT!!! Next time I am going to add some creamed corn to the muffin mix-yummy!!
When I went to the cupbord I saw that I did no thave any black beans so I used a can of red beans in chili sauce instead and it was very good. I added taco seasoning to the burger mixture and topped with chopped geen onion and lime juice.
Excellent and easy to make
Overall the dish was really good. I followed the recipe as stated & added a little corn because we love black bean/corn combinations! The bottom of the dish was a little mushy, from the salsa I guess so it made it a little difficult to serve nicely. I think it needed some more spice. For toppings, we used shredded lettuce, sour cream & hot pepper cheese. Next time think I'll add some jalepenos too...Will make again, but will def tweak the recipe.