Black Bean-Sweet Potato Skillet Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked couscous
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the beans, sweet potatoes, broth, chipotle, pepper and cinnamon.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Uncover and simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until potatoes are very tender and mixture is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Meanwhile, cook couscous according to package directions. Serve with black bean mixture. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup black bean mixture with 1/2 cup couscous : 294 calories, 3g fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 727mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 10g fiber), 12g protein
Reviews for Black Bean-Sweet Potato Skillet
"Another good dish to use those winter sweet potatoes. Couscous was a nice change from traditional rice. I substituted 1tsp of chili powder for the adobo chilis."