My fiancé loves sweet potatoes. By adding black beans, I came up with a nutritionally complete main dish. Its bright orange and black color makes it fun for Halloween. —April Strevell, Red Bank, New Jersey
Featured In: 43 Amazing Ways to Love Sweet Potatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked couscous
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the beans, sweet potatoes, broth, chipotle, pepper and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Uncover and simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until potatoes are very tender and mixture is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook couscous according to package directions. Serve with black bean mixture. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Black Bean-Sweet Potato Skillet in Country Woman October/November 2010, p40
Reviews for Black Bean-Sweet Potato Skillet
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 20, 2011
"Another good dish to use those winter sweet potatoes. Couscous was a nice change from traditional rice. I substituted 1tsp of chili powder for the adobo chilis."