- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked couscous
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the beans, sweet potatoes, broth, chipotle, pepper and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Uncover and simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until potatoes are very tender and mixture is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook couscous according to package directions. Serve with black bean mixture. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Black Bean-Sweet Potato Skillet in Country Woman October/November 2010, p40
Reviews for Black Bean-Sweet Potato Skillet
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 20, 2011
Another good dish to use those winter sweet potatoes. Couscous was a nice change from traditional rice. I substituted 1tsp of chili powder for the adobo chilis.