Black Bean Soup with Fruit Salsa Recipe
- 1/4 cup diced seeded peeled cucumber
- 1/4 cup diced peeled mango
- 1/4 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet onion
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 Anaheim pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1. For salsa, combine the first eight ingredients in a small bowl; set aside. In large a saucepan, saute bacon and onion until bacon is crisp and onion is tender. Add Anaheim pepper and garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- 3. Puree half of the soup in a blender; return to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes. Serve with fruit salsa. Yield: 3 cups.
1 cup soup with 1/3 cup salsa equals 298 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 929 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fruit.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.