Black Bean Soup with Fruit Salsa Recipe
- 1/4 cup diced seeded peeled cucumber
- 1/4 cup diced peeled mango
- 1/4 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet onion
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 Anaheim pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- For salsa, combine the first eight ingredients in a small bowl; set aside. In large a saucepan, saute bacon and onion until bacon is crisp and onion is tender. Add Anaheim pepper and garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Puree half of the soup in a blender; return to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes. Serve with fruit salsa. Yield: 3 cups.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Black Bean Soup with Fruit Salsa(1)
Sort By :
My sister and I tried this recipe several weeks ago, but I've been to busy to write a review before this. We're enjoyed it a lot, but we didn't make the fruit salsa to go with it because we didn't want any.
One modification I would make is to saute the onions and the bacon separately. The first time we made it we tried doing it together and only burned it all. We saute both individually in a non-stick skillet. I saute the onions first and then set them aside in a bowl. Then I dice up the bacon and saute that in the now empty skillet. After that I add the onions back in and add the anaheim pepper and garlic to saute that for a minute. Once that's done I move it all to the pot we cook the soup in.
We really love the soup, but just keep in mind that a single batch doesn't make very much soup so if you're making it for a larger group or family you'll have to multiply the dish appropriately.
More Recipe Collections
- Appetizer Recipes for Two >
- Appetizers >
- Appetizers for Two >
- Bacon Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Appetizers >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Condiments >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Magazine >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >
- Diabetic Appetizers >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Fruit Salsa Recipe >
- Jalapeno Salsa Recipe >
- Mango Salsa Recipes >
- Mexican Appetizers >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Salsa Recipes >