Black Bean Soup for Two Recipe
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 ounces) vegetable or beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Pepper to taste
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the cumin, oregano and chili powder; saute 2 minutes longer. Add the tomato sauce, beans, broth and bay leaf.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir in lime juice; simmer 10-15 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf. Add pepper sauce and pepper. Yield: 2 servings.
One 1-cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium beef broth) equals 314 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1,419 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.