- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 ounces) vegetable or beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the cumin, oregano and chili powder; saute 2 minutes longer. Add the tomato sauce, beans, broth and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir in lime juice; simmer 10-15 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf. Add pepper sauce and pepper. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Black Bean Soup for Two
"Soup looked nothing like the picture. Needed more beans and less tomato sauce. I prefer a less acidic soup so should have used diced tomatoes instead of sauce."
"One of my favorite soups"
"Great soup! I added 2 diced carrots, another can of black beans and a can of chicken broth (in addition to the beef broth). I wanted to stretch this to last for leftovers. I also slightly puréed the soup so it would be slightly thicker. Instead of adding the lime and Tabasco to the soup I served it with the soup, along with some sour cream, so that we could each add to our own taste."
"I like to make soup and take them to work for lunch. Glad this recipe only makes two serving. It smells wonderful cooking but the taste reminds me of something from a can. Hard to understand why this would be rated high or win anything."
"It was excellent, especially with crackers. Next time, however, I would add only 1 tsp of lime juice, not the called for 1-2 TBSP. I used 1 TBSP and it tasted strongly of lime- it wasn't as strong after the first few bites, but a little more lime flavor than I would have liked."
"I added leftover chicken that I roasted earlier in the week. My husband gives this two thumbs up!!! Will definitely make again!"
"Great soup. The lime was the addition that made it all the better. It's definatly a keeper"
"Great recipe. I especially liked the taste of lime in this soup."
"I exchanged the tomato sauce for diced tomatoes with green chilies and added a leftover grilled rib-eye steak, cut up, for a meat. Then I topped it with diced avocado and cheese. I didn't add any more heat with the pepper sauce. My husband crumbled up corn tortilla chips in it. It was wonderful. We will do it again!"
"This was, by far, the worst bean soup I have had. I think, probably that too much tomato sauce made far to acidic. Also I don,t know how much two people asre supposed to eat because this recipe made enough for at least four people."