Black Bean Soup for Two Recipe
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 ounces) vegetable or beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the cumin, oregano and chili powder; saute 2 minutes longer. Add the tomato sauce, beans, broth and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir in lime juice; simmer 10-15 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf. Add pepper sauce and pepper. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Black Bean Soup for Two
Sort By :
Soup looked nothing like the picture. Needed more beans and less tomato sauce. I prefer a less acidic soup so should have used diced tomatoes instead of sauce.
One of my favorite soups
Great soup! I added 2 diced carrots, another can of black beans and a can of chicken broth (in addition to the beef broth). I wanted to stretch this to last for leftovers. I also slightly puréed the soup so it would be slightly thicker. Instead of adding the lime and Tabasco to the soup I served it with the soup, along with some sour cream, so that we could each add to our own taste.
I like to make soup and take them to work for lunch. Glad this recipe only makes two serving. It smells wonderful cooking but the taste reminds me of something from a can. Hard to understand why this would be rated high or win anything.
It was excellent, especially with crackers. Next time, however, I would add only 1 tsp of lime juice, not the called for 1-2 TBSP. I used 1 TBSP and it tasted strongly of lime- it wasn't as strong after the first few bites, but a little more lime flavor than I would have liked.