Black Bean Soup
Blending some of the beans gives this soup just the right consistency. (After rinsing your blender container, remember to leave it out for the Peachy Fruit Smoothies!)
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Minced fresh cilantro, parsley, sour cream and/or tortilla chips, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil for 2-3 minutes or
- until tender.
- In a blender, combine 1/2 cup chicken broth and 1 can beans; cover
- and process until smooth. Add to onion mixture.
- Stir in the tomatoes, cumin, garlic salt, remaining beans and
- remaining broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- 10 minutes. Serve with cilantro, parsley, sour cream and tortilla
- chips if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 101 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 786 mg sodium,