Black Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Minced fresh cilantro, parsley, sour cream and/or tortilla chips, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
- In a blender, combine 1/2 cup chicken broth and 1 can beans; cover and process until smooth. Add to onion mixture.
- Stir in the tomatoes, cumin, garlic salt, remaining beans and remaining broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with cilantro, parsley, sour cream and tortilla chips if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Black Bean Soup(12)
Sort By :
It was much better than it sounded or looked. My husband really liked it. It is a bit spicy.
Really, really good!!! My husband loved it and that's always my goal! I used only half the cumin (I don't think I could have eaten it with the full amount... would have been too spicy!) and I blended almost two full cans of the beans instead of one. Also threw a little dried cilantro in the pot. I will definitely be making this again!
I absolutelylove this soup! I used reduced sodium chicken broth instead of the regular brothh. Since I like my soup to be on the thicker side, I don't blend the beans with the chicken broth before adding them. I put everything into the pot and at the end, I use a blender stick to blend the soup. That way you can make the soup as thick as you want.
Quick, easy, healthy and delicious!
After making this several times I had a light bulb moment. I think it helped that I had a can in the pantry. So, instead of chopping one of the cans of beans, I used a can of refried black beans. It worked great and tasted delicious. My favorite toppings are cheddar cheese and sour cream.