Spiced just right, These bean-based tacos have plenty of South-of-the-border appeal. Lynn Hamilton of Naperville, Illinois livens up her black bean filling with diced tomatoes, green chilies and a variety of seasonings, then garnishes each taco with a slice of avocado.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- In a nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, chilies and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup off center on each tortilla; sprinkle with cheese. Fold one side of tortilla over filling. Garnish with avocado. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Black Bean Soft Tacos in Light & Tasty December/January 2003, p50
Reviews for Black Bean Soft Tacos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review