“I lived in Venezuela for several years, so this Caribbean-style salad is a favorite of mine,” says Rosemarie Forcum, a field editor from White Stone, Virginia. “I came across the recipe about 10 years ago and changed it to suit my taste.”
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2/3 cup picante sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon grated lime peel, optional
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk the picante sauce, cilantro, lime juice, oil, honey, salt and lime peel if desired. Pour over shrimp mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, spoon onto a lettuce-lined serving platter or salad plates. Garnish with tomatoes. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Black Bean Shrimp Salad in Taste of Home June/July 2006, p23
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Black Bean Shrimp Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review