Meet the Cook: My entire family urged me to send in this recipe! I came up with it one day when I wasn't sure what to do with a can of black beans I had. I just threw a bunch of stuff together, and out came a new chili that's become our favorite. My husband always tells me that I'm the world's best cook. That's nice, since he's the best husband in the world! Our four children are ages 6, 4, 2 and 1. -Nanci Keatley, Salem, Oregon
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage and garlic over medium heat until the sausage is not longer pink.
- Add green pepper and onion. Cook and stir until onion is tender; drain. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, corn, tomato sauce and paste, water, chili powder, oregano, salt, basil and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings (1-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Black Bean Sausage Chili in Country Woman January/February 1996, p29
Reviews for Black Bean Sausage Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review